Roasted Eggplant Puree:
1 pound eggplant
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, put through a press or pounded with salt
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 425 F/220 C.
2. Slash the eggplant in several places so it won't explode. Put it in a pan and bake until it's soft to the point of collapsing, 30 to 40 minutes. Let it cool for at least 15 minutes.
3. Discard any bitter juices that may have collected. Peel off the skin and finely chop the eggplant.
4. Put the finely chopped eggplant in a bowl along with the olive oil, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. (You could also blitz this in a food processor for a minute or 2 and save yourself the trouble of mixing!)
5. Put the eggplant mixture on a plate, garnish with the parsley, ad serve with crackers or pita bread.