We have this chili every year close to Christmas! It's a favorite for my Christmas baking party. A few inquiring minds have wanted the recipe for a while, so here it is in all its simplicity...
1/4 to 1 jalepeno pepper finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried crumbled sage
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp dried basil
2 Tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup of chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
12 ounces of ground beef
1 15 ounce can of kidney beans (white or red), rinsed and drained
1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
2-3 tsp of the spice blend
1/4 tsp black pepper
1. In a large saucepan, cook the garlic in the olive oil until golden (1-2 minutes).
2. Add the onion and celery and cook for another 2-4 minutes until the onion is tender.
3. Add the ground beef and cook until the meat is brown. Drain the fat.
4. Stir in the kidney beans, tomato sauce, spice blend, and black pepper.
5. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or put in a slow cooker for 3-4 hours.