1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbs ground flaxseed or 3 tsp ener-G egg replacer or two eggs
6 Tbs water (4 Tbs if you are using Ener-G egg replacer)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups peeled and chopped raw apples
1/2 to 1 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F or 180 C. Lightly grease your muffin tins or use muffins cups.
2. In a medium size bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
3. In a food processor or blender, whip the flaxseed and water together, until it reaches a thick and creamy consistency.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the applesauce, oil, sugar, vanilla, and flax mixture. Beat with an electric hand-mixer or wire whisk until it is creamy smooth. Add the flour mixture and stir until it is well blended. Do not overmix. Fold in the apples and the pecans.
5. The batter will be thick rather than smooth and wet, but it's fine. If you think it is too stiff, you can add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water.
6. Fill the muffins tins about 3/4 full.
7. Bake for 18-20 minutes. You know when they are done when a wooden toothpick or skewer inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
8. Cool for about 10 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack.
Variations and Slight Modifications:
I have substituted 1/2 cup mashed banana for the apple sauce.
I have added about 1/3 cup shredded carrot to the recipe.