2 tsp olive oil (plus more if needed)
4 black cod or talapia fillets
fresh lemon juice
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 whole grain or sour dough bread slice or 10 saltine crackers
1 minced shallot
1 Tbs grated lemon zest
1 Tbs fresh thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 230C/450F. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil. Place the fish, skin side down, on the pan. Brush with olive oil and drizzle lightly with fresh lemon juice. Season lightly with salt and pepper and let marinate while preparing the topping.
2. Tear the bread into pieces and place in a food processor. Grind into fine crumbs.
3. In a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup of the crumbs, the shallot, lemon zest, thyme, and 2 teaspoons olive oil. Mix to combine evenly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Just before baking, divide the bread crumb mixture among the fillets, pressing onto the top of each piece. Bake until the fish is just springy to the touch and the bread crumbs start to brown, about 10 minutes.
5. Transfer the fish to plates and serve right away.