2/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons and some cinnamon
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
a capful or two of vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk, room temperature
2 apples, peeled and finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare two 8-inch round cake pans with either baking spray or line with parchment.
2. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl. Set aside.
3.Beat butter and sugar together in a bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until incorporated.
4.Add vanilla extract. Once incorporated remove bowl from mixer.
5. Sift flour and baking powder together in a bowl then stir into creamed butter mixture by hand. Mix milk into batter until smooth.
6. You should have about 6 cups of batter. Pour 1 1/2 cups of the batter (or 1/4 of your total batter) into one of the prepared cake pans; add 1/4 of the apples and 1/4 of the brown sugar mixture. Lightly pat apple mixture into batter. Gently pour another 1 1/2 cups of batter over apple layer; top with another 1/4 of the apples and brown sugar mixture. Lightly pat apples into batter. Repeat this with remaining batter and brown sugar/apple mixture in other cake pan.
7. There usually is brown sugar/cinnamon mixture leftover, so you can use this for buttercream frosting.
8. Bake for about 40 minutes or until top is set and not too wet looking.
9. Let it cool for at least 30 minutes. Enjoy the cake!