1 onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbs olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 Tbs minced fresh sage leaves
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 pounds chicken thighs, with skin
1 lemon, thinly sliced into rounds
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Place the onion in a small casserole baking dish and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the sage leaves, garlic, and butter. Use a knife to gently separate the chicken skin from the meat without detaching it. Spread the sage and garlic butter evenly on all the chicken thighs, between the meat and the skin.
4. Place the chicken on top of the onion in the baking dish. Sprinkle the chicken with more salt and pepper to taste. Cover the chicken with thin slices of lemon.
5. Place the dish in the oven and bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through (when the center of the chicken reads 165F on a meat thermometer).
6. Remove the lemons from the chickens and set aside. Broil the chicken for two minutes, or until the skin is golden and crisp.
7. Remove the dish from the oven, and serve the chicken with the reserved lemon slices.