For the coconut bacon:
1/4 cup tamari
1 Tbs liquid smoke
3 Tbs coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
5 cups large unsweetened coconut flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 160 F/ 70 C and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the tamari, liquid smoke, coconut oil, maple syrup, garlic powder, black pepper, and two tablespoons of water. Add the coconut flakes and toss well to coat. Let the coconut marinate in the liquid for about 5 minutes.
3. Spread the coconut evenly on the prepared baking pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 7 minutes or so, until fragrant, deep golden brown, and crispy. (The coconut will crisp up more outside the oven as well!) Let the bacon cool completely.
For the Salad:
4 to 6 large handfuls spinach leaves
maple mustard dressing
1 small red onion or shallot, sliced
Sprouts: Broccoli, onion, and clover are good choices
1 cup of coconut bacon (recipe above)
4 to 8 large eggs (1 to 2 per person or as desired)
Flaky sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
1. Put the spinach in a large bowl, pour the dressing over it, and toss to combine. Add the sliced onion. Divide the salad among the individual plates, and sprinkle with sprouts and the coconut bacon.
2. Soft-boil or poach the eggs, whichever you prefer. Put them on top of the greens, and season with flaky sea salt and cracked black pepper. Serve immediately!
For the Maple-Mustard Dressing:
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp pure maple syrup
2 pinches fine sea salt
2 Tbs cold-pressed olive oil
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1. Whisk the mustard, maple syrup, sea salt, olive oil, and vinegar together in a small bowl. Season with salt.